A good holiday is never complete without indulging in some delicious food that has been prepared with love and enthusiasm!
Head Chef at John’s Camp, Tawanda, is well aware of this and strives to make every meal special for guests. Find out more about him below…
How did Tawanda get into catering?
Cooking at home with the Stevens family. Then in 2009, he worked alongside Sarah in the kitchen for 3 years in Johns Camp before taking over.
Did he have any formal training?
He has been on a few cookery courses.
How long has he been at John’s Camp?
Since we opened in 2009
Where did he learn to make sushi?
He spent a few days training with a sushi chef in Harare – Tawanda has a natural talent for cooking!
What is his favourite dish?
Chocolate Mousse Cups!
Here is the recipe for his delicious chocolate mousse cakes:
- 150ml Farm Fresh Cream (in Mana Pools long life will do! )
- 200g Cooking Chocolate (broken into pieces)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tbsp Castor sugar
- 24 Belgium chocolate cups
- Optional Garnish: whipped cream
1. Pour 150ml cream in a double boiler pot and leave to heat but not boil. Add the cooking chocolate to the warm cream and stir until dissolved and combined. Put aside to cool.
2. Separate the white from the yolk of both eggs. Beat the egg whites, add the castor sugar and continue to beat until soft peaks.
3. Pour cooled creamy chocolate into egg yolks- mix until combined. Once combined, fold into the egg whites.
4. Pour chocolate mousse into the cups and chill for 4 hours or more in the refrigerator.
5. Before serving, add a dollop of whipped cream to top off each cup with a Borage flower to garnish.. yum!